Systems training in the virtual environment

Hi everyone - it's great to be on board with this great community.

We are well into our journey through the virtual environment but so far have delivered only soft skills and theoritical training via VLE. I have now been set the challenge of delivering systems implementation training via virtual learning - this is a really exciting challenge so I wondered if anyone in the community has experience of this and can provide some advice on how to approach this.

Many thanks

Karen 

You need to be a member of Lightbulb Moment to add comments!

Join Lightbulb Moment

Replies

• Glad about that Karen. Make sure you design in small bits for lots of different people to do, rather than one person for too long!

• Completely agree with this recommendation Jo.

• Hi Karen,

Sorry I'm so late to your message. By now you've probably delivered your systems training virtually, I'd love to hear how it went and how you organised it.

I deliver systems training virtually. Often part of a blended approach, sometimes as a one off focussing on a specific process.

I try to keep the instructor led demos short and break up the session with different activities. I use the chat & poll. I'll hand over control and then ask for 2 volunteers - 1 to take control of the mouse and another to give that person instruction of what to do. I've also included breaks, we stay online whilst they go into the software on their systems and perform the task we've just covered. Then discuss what went well and issues they experienced. There's always a risk here though, as I have no proof that they are doing what I've asked them to do! They've sometimes shared their screen too and I've walked them through the process. 

I find smaller groups are easier to manage and to be able to involve everyone.

The challenge for me has been trying to keep the demos short as a lot of the processes are quite long.

How did yours go?

Jayne 

• Hey Karen

Great discussion. I've done systems training before with VLE. Something that worked really well is to have practice breaks. Cover some content then provide time for them to practice on their own then meet back up to discuss and reflect.

Would that work for you?

This reply was deleted.